08 April, 2009

Birds on the move

But first a snake story. While taking a lunch break the other day I was sitting on the veranda with my back to the vege garden when I heard movement under my chair. This Yellow-faced Whipsnake had caught a small skink. The skink was dispatched and quickly eaten and my visitor moved off after more prey.
Bustards are back on the central part of the Atherton Tablelands. This was one of four in a peanut paddock on the south end of Marks Lane.
White headed Pigeons and Topknot Pigeons are visiting the Camphor Laurels in Yungaburra in flocks of up to 60 birds at the moment.
In the fruiting fig trees are Double-eyed fig-Parrots and Barred Cuckoo-shrikes.
Pacific Black Ducks do not migrate from here and some have ducklings. Most of the other water birds have moved further west to breed but it wont be long before they start to return.
It's good night from me and good night from him and good night from him and good night from him and good night from him.
Four Brown Gerrygones cuddled together for warmth and safety.

No comments: